Boat Safety Scheme Examinations
For private vessels, Tom regularly applies the 2015 BSS guidelines for privately managed vessels, as required by most navigation authorities for licensing. This service is usually fairly local only, as price becomes uncompetitive outside of 25 miles radius of Alcester, Warwickshire. Tom does not just fail your boat and walk away, I offer guidance and technical assistance in rectifying faults as cheaply and easily as possible whilst staying within best practice guidelines. I’m always available for ‘phone consultation too. Retests are usually always free depending on distances travelled. Tom can always recommend reputable traders to assist with repairs. If you liveaboard, you should be ensuring your BSS examiner is gas safe registered to get the best service possible. Tom is gas safe registered (300458), so if you liveaboard, this ensures you get the best possible service.
- full BSS examination for private leisure or live aboard (no bubble tester is required)
- full gas tightness test by gas safe registered engineer, including gas leak detection and trouble shooting - note most examiners can not offer this
- free and fully-insured technical advice, including best and most economical repair methods - note most examiners are not able or insured to offer this
- free help with on the spot simple repairs
- travel costs
- retest visit if required
- certificate charges levied by CRT (£51.40 per certificate issued)
- VAT @ 20%
- No interpretation of the rules, just even-handed application delivered plainly and consistently
- 18 years of experience of delivering BSS examinations across all versions of the BSS checking procedures
£250 inc. VAT for boats new to me
£230 inc. VAT for returning customers (if I issued the most recent BSS certificate on the boat, the fee you pay is reduced to £230)
The above price is for a typical fully fitted narrowboat with fixed engine, permanent fuel system, electrical systems, LPG systems and range of appliances.
The less you have the less you pay:
If I issued the most recent BSS certificate on the boat, the fee you pay is reduced by £20 as detailed above
If you have a bubble tester, the fee you pay is reduced by £10
If you have an outboard engine, with fixed permanent fuel tank (and no other fixed engine), the fee is reduced by £30
If you have an outboard engine, with portable tank (and no other fixed engine), the fee is reduced by £50
If you have a simple day style open boat, with outboard and basic electrics only, and no LPG, the fee is £160 inc. VAT
Tom specialises in applying the 2002 BSS guidelines to workboats, hotel boats, passenger boats, commercial enterprises, and residential lettings. Email for prices; gas certification can be incorporated into the process at a small extra charge.
Tom has contracts to carry out BSS examinations for all leading hire fleet operators, and carries out BSS examinations on over 25% of all self-drive hire boats in UK waters, across England, Wales and Scotland; this is the single biggest contract holding of its type in the UK.
This is a specialist aspect of BSS work with fleets generally managed throughout November-April. Tom advises on the adoption of the new 2017 BSS hire boat guidelines, as well as offering a bespoke service to traders - as much or as little as you need.